Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I can't believe I did it!

I won. I actually won. It hasn't really sunk in yet. I put a bid on a Majacraft Little Gem spinning wheel on Ebay and I won! I'm horrified that I spent that much at this particular time (yes, I'm broke) and yet I'm so thrilled to have the opportunity to actually own a wheel that I'll be able to use! It even comes with the large flyer and bobbin kit. I must say that my usually incredibly supportive husband isn't wild about it; he thinks I should just get the old wheel fixed. Which believe me, I plan to. But I expect it will cost almost as much as I paid for the Gem, and take ages, and I just couldn't wait. Not when I saw that deal! If it's anywhere near what it's described, it really is a great deal. He also thinks that now that I have a wheel, I can sell my spindles. I mean, after all, if you can use a wheel, why use a spindle? I tried to explain, but I don't think he gets it. Maybe I'll have to use a guitar metaphor to illustrate.

On the actual doing things front, I ripped out the fishtail scarf I had started. The needles were too big and the yarn too small, and I didn't like the result. I still plan to make it but have to regroup and reconsider. I started a vest from the Stitch 'N Bitch Happy Hooker book; have a few rows done. I like that it's done in one piece; I hate joining! I'm still spinning the silk, but last night tried to go back to the Corridale on the Kundert; it was SO hard! The silk drafts so easily, so beautifully, and I felt like I was fighting the wool. It's probably not a great idea to go back and forth between such drastically different fibers and spindles, I decided.

So now I'll sit on pins and needles awaiting the arrival of the wheel. I'll try to focus on cleaning and organizing to have a place to put it

1 comment:

Katie said...

What a cute little wheel! Congrats on winning and have fun spinning on it.