Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Graduate


Congratulations to my wonderful son, Eric, who graduated from high school on Friday, June 17th. I'm so proud of him! He's turned out to be such a good person. He's smart and generous and has a great sense of humor (a necessary thing in this house!). He's patient with his little brother and passionate about the things he cares about. I am so proud of the person he has become.

The ceremony itself was very nice. Nana and Grampy came up from Florida to go with us. It was very hot! Several kids gave addresses which were all nice and mercifully short. One talked about going on in life after school, and MLK's comments that if you weren't anything but a street sweeper, you should do the best job you could, causing people around you to say that you were the best street sweeper ever. All in all, it was a very nice evening. We went home and had cake and presents and collapsed into bed after a very long day.

Eric had a lot of things to overcome in order to graduate. He's had to change schools about every two years for about the last eight years or so, which is hard on anyone. He's had his own problems in dealing with ADHD, and with teachers who didn't understand the process. He worked very hard, especially this year. He's so very much better a person than I was at his age, and I'm so proud of him and so grateful to have him in my life.

So, Congratulations, Graduate! I hope you achieve in life the things that are important to you. I hope you are very happy. I hope you find love to last a lifetime. It's all just starting for you, all possibilities are open. Choose well, and be happy. I'm so proud of you.

1 comment: