Thursday, June 29, 2006

New Bags

I haven't posted in a while; still recovering from graduation hangover. Metaphorically speaking, of course. I spent last weekend creating. A lovely woman from the Spindler's List some time ago said that she wanted to clean out some of her stash, specifically some of her earlier homespun she didn't feel was up to snuff. So she was offering it for shipping cost to anyone who would actually USE it. Lucky me, I was first to snap it up. I told her I would most likely make a felted bag from it; and here it is.

I am quite pleased with it. It's completely my own design, made up as I went along. It's shallow, as there wasn't much yarn to work with, but it makes a perfect spindle bag. Just large enough for a spindle or two and some fiber. I'm putting a magnetic closure in as well. I like the bag so well, I'm considering entering it into the Ventura County Fair in August.

I also created this one. This was made from odds and ends of some rug yarn passed on to my by my mother (thanks, Mom!). Again, it's totally my design, made up as I went along. It's not really my personal style, but I'm hoping to find someone who'll like it!


I finally made it to "Modern Gypsy" in Ventura. Heaven. The woman who owns the shop is very nice, and may be having a spinning get together on Tuesdays, which would be FABULOUS. I bought some black merino which I'm currently spinning on the Gem. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with it when it's done, but I know I wanted some black to spin. I also bought two precious ounces of cashmere. Sooooo soft, and a lovely camel color. And I bought some silk roving sheets in white for dyeing. That's going to be FUN.

I joined another "along." This is the Mystery Stole along. It begins July 1st, when the first "clue" will be released. We don't know what it will look like until we finish. It's going to be a bit of a challenge for me, as my knitting skills are fairly novice, and my lace skills are nil. I've now knitted the test swatch 6 times, and this time, I ALMOST have it down. I'm using Misti Alpaca in a natural, which I plan to dye after the stole is complete. I hope. I'm using size 4 aluminum dpn which I HATE with a passion of a thousand suns. The threes I really wanted to use are too small. So I'm going to go buy my beloved bamboo circs in size 4. I finally took an inventory of my needles and hooks, and am hoping to do my fiber this weekend. Will help to remember what I have!

UPDATE: I finallly got a semi decent swatch, with almost visible flowers. (And if you're thinking that the swatch looks a little rough, you'reo right... but you should see what the previous ones looked like!) This is not blocked yet. I'm going to do one more with the size 3s just to see the difference, and get more practice; I apparently need it!

My Trekking Along has sort of died. The ZERO needles I was using were way too small. So I"m going to try again, with size 3 and a different pattern. I will probably not finish them for the Trek Along, especially with the Mystery Stole, which I really really really want to do. I must; anyone who knows me knows I never EVER do swatches, much less six of them!

I'm still spinning the locks I got from the Sheep Shed Studio in a lovely blue, which has a TON of VM in it, but it's so pretty! I'm trying to decide whether I should try to comb or card it, but have done a bit of it just from the lock which is interesting! I get covered with hay. It's my first experience with anything but nice clean prepared roving.

I finished the crocheted flower scarf, but it needs blocking before I photo it.

So I'm pretty busy with fibery things. Still having a blast, really enjoying it. More later, I hope!

No comments: